Heavy Vehicle Licensing:
Class 5 Licensing Course
- Take the final step in your heavy vehicle licence career, get your class 5 full licence immediately after getting your class 5 learner licence.
To obtain a Class 5 Truck Driver Licence without having to wait 6 months from the time a Class 5 Learner Licence is obtained.
We will coach you on the theory and assess your skills drive a heavy combination vehicle with a gross combined weight of more than 25,000kg.
What do I need to have?
A Class 5 Learner Licence obtained from a licensing agency.
What do I need to do to get a Class 5 Learner Licence?
- You must have held a Class 4 licence for at least 6 months (or 3 months if you are over 25).
- You’ll need to get a medical certificate (unless you have presented one to the NZTA in the last 5 years)
- Apply for a Class 5 Learners licence at a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ).
How long does the Class 5 course take?
We will courier you pre-course study, we recommend booking at least one week before to allow enough time to complete it before the course starts.
- Half a day will be scheduled covering unit standard 17577 – Operate a Class 5 heavy combination vehicle.
- One day will be scheduled to cover unit standard 24089 Worktime, logbook and fatigue if required.
- The practical portion will be 3 hours of coaching with one hour of assessment
What unit standards are covered?
- US 17577 – Operate a Class 5 heavy combination vehicle.
- US 24089 Worktime, logbook and fatigue - May not be required if you can provide evidence that you have completed this training in the last 12 months and we are happy with your level of knowledge.
What happens when I pass the course?
Take the certificate we give you to a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ) and they will help you apply for your new full Class 5 licence (Fees apply). We recommended that you present this within 60 days.
You cannot drive with just the certificate - it is not a licence.
Class 5 Licence Pre-requisites
- You will need your Class 5 learners, we will need a copy before booking. Please bring it with you on the day.
- To get your Class 5 learners you must have held you full NZ Class 4 licence 6 months (if you are under 25) or for 3 months (if you are over 25). Head to your nearest licencing agency with a current medical (unless one has been presented in the last 5 years) pass your theory test and contact us to book.
- Successful completion of Worktime, Logbook & Fatigue unit standard 24089. Ask our team for more information
- Truck and transmission differ from branch to branch, please let know your preference
How much does it cost if I can supply a truck and suitable load?
- Our Class 5 course starts from $1,200 + GST ($1,380 including GST) if you can provide evidence that you have:
- Completed a Class 4 Approved Course, and/or
- Demostrate Work time, Logbook and fatigue level of knowledge.
- Copy of the original NZTA certificate.
- Worktime, logbook & fatigue is a prerequisite to the Class 5 course at at extra $360 plus GST ($414 including GST).
How much does it cost if I can’t supply a truck with a suitable minimum load of 50% of GLW?
Truck hire is $795 + GST ($914.25 including GST).
If you are unable to provide your own class 4 truck, then call us on 0800 637 000 to discuss your options.
Please note truck hire is unavailable at our Rotorua branch. All drives that require truck hire will start at our Mount Maunganui branch
What is included in the cost?
- All course and tuition fees.
- NZQA credit registration fees.
What is excluded?
- Class 5 Learners.
- Truck hire, NZTA or licensing agency fees.
- Eyesight & or medical fees.
- Any practical training/assessment exceeding 4 hours – charged out at $180 plus GST ($207 including GST) per hour plus truck hire costs if applicable.