Wheels, Tracks & Rollers (WTR) Licence Endorsement Course
This course will provide anyone who drives a special type of vehicle that isn’t a forklift on a road, with the skills and knowledge to safely and legally.
Train at one of our nationwide facilities or your own venue.
To provide anyone who drives a special type vehicle that isn’t a forklift on a road with the required skills and knowledge for safe operation in any applicable environment. A separate endorsement applies for Wheels (W), Tracks (T) and Rollers (R).
Note: The definition of a road, for the application of transport laws is very broad. It includes not only streets and highways, but also any place the public has access to – including bridges, culverts, beaches, riverbeds, reserve lands, wharves and road shoulders.
Who needs an W, T or R Licence Endorsement?
- Anyone who drives a special type vehicle that isn’t a forklift on a road – Refer NZ Transport Agency Factsheet No 40 for more details.
- A separate endorsement applies for each of Wheels (W), Tracks (T) and Rollers (R).
How do I get an W, T or R Licence Endorsement?
- Successfully complete an “WTR” endorsement course with TR Driver Training, an approved training provider.
- On successful completion of the TR Driver Training’ Approved Course the participant will be issued with a New Zealand Transport Agency certificate. To obtain an W, T or R Licence endorsement this certificate needs to be produced to a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ) and the following requirements have to be met:
- Complete the application form and pay the NZTA Licensing fees.
- Undergo an eyesight test.
- Provide identification and proof of your address.
How long does the course take and what is involved?
- Pre-course study (pre-course study material will be emailed to you once you have booked onto the course).
- From ½ a day up to ¾ of a day is scheduled to cover in-class theory and practical tests. Duration is dependent on trainee numbers.
What unit standards are covered?
- 16701 – Demonstrate knowledge and skills for driving on a road for endorsement W (Wheels).
- 16702 - Demonstrate knowledge and skills for driving on a road for endorsement R (Rollers).
- 16703 - Demonstrate knowledge and skills for driving on a road for endorsement T (Tracks).
- Note: These NZTA approved courses cover the road rules and basic handling skills. They are not a replacement for courses covering OSH or skill requirements.
Wheels Tracks and Rollers Pre-requisites
You must hold a full New Zealand Class 1 (car) licence, please bring it on the day.
Public Course Fee
The theory portion is run at our branch with the practical component conducted at an external providers site using their machinery. No minimum numbers required.
Prices per trainee are:
- $420 plus GST ($483 including GST) for one of R, T or W.
- $440 plus GST ($506 including GST) for two of R, T or W.
- $460 plus GST ($529 including GST) for all three.
What is included in the course fees?
- Course fees and NZQA credit registration fees.
What is excluded?
- NZTA or licensing agency fees
- Eyesight & or medical fees
Private Course Fee
This is for groups of a minimum of 4 or more people at a site where you provide the machinery.
Prices per trainee are:
- $345 plus GST ($396.75 including GST) for one of R, T or W.
- $365 plus GST ($ 419.75 including GST) for two of R, T or W.
- $385 plus GST ($442.75 including GST) for all three.
WTR Equipment Hire
We are unable to provide WTR machinery in our Hamilton, Rotorua and Mt Maunganui branches. For all courses in these locations you will need to provide certified equipment.