Driving Instructor Training - I Endorsement
- To offer the required qualifications for those who wish to apply for and achieve the NZ Transport Agency Driver Instructor “I” licence endorsement.
- To train and develop those who wish to conduct in-vehicle training for financial or commercial gain and those trainers/assessors who assess practical driving unit standards administered by the NZ Motor Industry Training Organisation (MITO).
Course Structure and Duration
- Pre-entry study – all three Road Codes (General, Heavy Vehicle and Motor Cycle).
- Pre-entry assessment – theory (approx. 1 hour) and practical (approx. 1 hour).
- Pre-course study/assignments.
- 10-day block course – theory and practical.
- Pre-entry assessment (theory and practical) – at any TR Driver Training branch.
- 10-day block course - Auckland, Palmerston North, Wellington, and Christchurch. Contact us if you have a group.
Course Content and Unit Standards
The course addresses the following Unit Standards (US) with all outcomes being measured / assessed against these:
- US 3466 - Apply risk reduction techniques and strategies while driving.
- US 14511 - Demonstrate knowledge required by driver educators of road transport legislation.
- US 14521 - Observe and analyse a person’s driving and determine optimal ways to achieve required performance.
- US 14523 - Carry out in-vehicle driver training.
- US 16646 - Develop and manage individual driver training plans.
- US 16647 - Describe factors that affect people's learning in a driver training environment and describe methods to mange these.
- US 20179 - Describe light motor vehicle components, systems, dynamics and handling characteristics.
- US 20180 - Demonstrate knowledge of hazard detection and responses.
What happens when I pass the course?
To obtain an “I” Licence endorsement this certificate needs to be produced to a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ) and the following requirements have to be met:
- Complete the application form and pay the NZTA Licensing fees.
- Produce a medical certificate (may not be required if one has been submitted/completed in the last 5 years – please check with the licensing agency).
- Undergo an eyesight test.
- Undergo a fit and proper person check.
- Undertake and pass a Full Licence Test in a car (this may not be required if one has been completed in the last 5 years – please check with the licensing agency).
- Provide identification and proof of your address.
Note: You should allow six to eight weeks for your licence endorsement application to be processed.
You cannot instruct with just the certificate - it is not a licence.
- $5500.00 plus GST per person ($6325.00 including GST).
- Pre-Entry testing vehicle hire ($172.50 including GST).
- Please refer to NZTA Factsheet No 5 for information relating to the NZTA requirements for an “I” endorsement and also NZTA-related costs.
What is included in the cost?
- Course fees
- NZQA and credit registration fees
What is not included in the cost?
- NZTA or licencing agency fees.